Sunday, May 2, 2010

AJC 'A' Level 2009 students aced

..the exams with hard work and with style:

1.You go,girl!
AJC's Top Science and Top Chinese Student, Joyce Ho Jia Ler of 31/08 who obtained 7 Distinctions with 4 H2 Subjects, spoke to Seah Jundi (29/09) abouther stellar performance.

Q: What motivated you to aim and score high?
JoyceHoJiaLer : I was especially motivated by my dream to become a doctor and so I worked hard in order to qualify for NUS (Medicine) [8000 application for NUS Medicine admission last year , only 200 plus are shortlisted]. It has always been my aspiration to be able to help cure illnesses and make a difference in people's lives. My family was another source of motivation. Their encouragement and constant support have been invaluable to me.

Q: How did you deal with the exam stress just before and during the A Level exams?
JoyceHoJiaLer: Time management is crucial. One month before the 'A' Level exams, I planned my schedule everyday. Consistency is important and last-minute rushed revision only worsens the stress.

Q: What were some of the greatest challenges you experienced in the course of your studies, and how did you overcome them?
JoyceHoJiaLer: The greatest challenge was having to juggle my CCA [Co-Curriculum Activity) and my studies. I often got home at 10pm, came to school exhausted the next day, and struggled to stay awake during lectures and tutorials. I made full use of breaks and weekends to catch up on my work.

Q: What role/position did you play in your CCA?
JoyceHoJiaLer: In ODAC, I was in the Executive Committee and held the position of Assistant Sea Chief. Together with my Sea Chief, we planned and led sea expeditions for my CCA mates.

Q: What advice do you have to share with the next batch of JC2 students?
JoyceHoJiaLer: What's more important than failing is recovering from our failure and turning the situation around. Follow what our principal often preaches, "Begin with and end in mind," It's never too early to start preparations , since excelling in the 'A' Levels requires consistent effort and a positive learning attitude. Believe in your abilities like I did and make a difference. You'll be opening plenty of doors for yourself after that.

No comments: